22 Frequently Asked Questions…
1. Are you a “private membership only” club?
Everyone is Welcome at Candlewood Valley Country Club! We are a privately owned 18 Hole – Par 71 Daily Fee Public Golf Course located in New Milford, CT. Our Course has 4 Tee Options to accomodate all levels of skill and ranges in yardage from 4758 Yards to 6388 Yards:
- Red Tees have a USGA Course Rating of 68.5 with a Slope Rating of 113
- Gold Tees have a USGA Course Rating of 66.7 with a Slope Rating of 112
- White Tees have a USGA Course Rating of 70.7 with a Slope Rating of 122
- Blue Tees (“The Tips”) have a USGA Course Rating of 72.1 with a Slope Rating of 127
2. What are the rates for Greens Fees at Candlewood?
Detailed Rates may be found by clicking here. The best rates available are on our website listed as “Prepaid Web Special” Rates and those can be found by clicking here.
3. Do I really need a tee time or can I just walk up?
We highly recommend reserving a tee time for golf, even if you are only 20 minutes away. We sell our tee times over the phone, on our website, and on other platforms and these Tee times can fill up pretty quickly. We will do our best to pair you up with another group if you do not have a reservation, but we can not guarantee an immediate time.
4. Is there a Dress Code Policy?
We just ask that you “Dress Golf Smart!” No need for a 3 piece suit, dress, or a tuxedo though. Please try to avoid denim, tank tops, gym apparel, or swimwear. We are a fan of what the PGA/LPGA Tour Players choose to wear, and the Retro Cool Golf Look is pretty popular! (google it!)
5. Do you have a caddy program?
Candlewood does not offer a caddy program.
6. I am a single, will I be paired up to play with other players?
Golf is a Social (and sometimes competitive) Sport! During peak times and to maintain pace of play, we will pair you up to complete a tee time. Who knows…the person(s) we pair you up with might be your next BFF(s)!
7. Do you allow Riders Only on the golf course?
The short answer is Yes, on a case-by-case and “Business Demands” basis. “Riders Only” are permitted on the course only if golf carts are available. During Peak Times this option may not be available. “Riders Only” will be required to pay the appropriate Golf Cart Rental Fee and sign a Golf Cart Rental Agreement/Waiver. Riders Only must be over 18 to operate the golf cart and will be required to follow the local rules of the golf course.
8. Does each golfer need their own set of clubs?
Yes, each golfer needs their own set of clubs. Candlewood’s Golf Shop has Men’s and Ladies Right and Left Handed Clubs for rental. Brands available are Strata and Titleist. Candlewood also has Junior Clubs available for kid’s rentals.
9. Can I bring my own cooler full of “adult beverages?”
No. All “adult beverages” (hard liquor, beer, wine, etc.) must be purchased through Candlewood Valley Country Club. This is a State Law mandated by The Dept. of Liquor Control. We maintain a full service restaurant where you may purchase these beverages. Any coolers that enter the property are subject to search. If any alcholic beverages are found, we will ask you to return your cooler to your vehicle.
10. Speaking of Restaurants, do you have one? If so, do I have to be a golfer to enjoy it?
We have a full service restaurant and all are welcome! You do not need to be a golfer to enjoy the commanding views of our golf course while dining in the restaurant.
11. Is there a full driving range available?
Candlewood has a chipping and putting practice area for you to use before your round. We do not have a full driving range available for public use.
12. Are Golf Lessons available at Candlewood? How do I book a lesson?
Candlewood is home to Head Golf Professional Scott Eckelman, PGA. Scott will be happy to get a club in your hand and teach you the game. More information about Scott Eckelman and his lessons may be found by clicking here.
13. I want my kid to do something this summer, do you offer Junior Lessons?
Head Golf Professional Scott Eckelman, PGA, offers Lessons to people of all ages! For more information about Lessons please click here.
14. Can I hold a party at the course?
We are the Event experts! From Corporate Gatherings, Weddings, Anniversaries, Birthdays, Retirements, New Product Launches, and Remembrance Ceremonies we can make your day a memorable one. Please click here for more infomation on how we can make your day special!
15. My Putter mysteriosly broke after I 3-putted on 7. Do you have any duct tape?
You don’t need duct tape! Scott Ward of Performance Clubworks can fix your putter and make it better than new. He also stocks our shop with the latest in apparel, shoes, golf balls, and clubs…
16. What do you sell in your Golf Shop?
Scott Ward of Performance Clubworks in Brookfield brings his 25+ Years of Experience to Candlewood’s Golf Shop. In the shop you will find all major manufacturers of Golf Balls, Shoes, Gloves, Hats, Apparel and, of course, Golf Clubs. If you are looking for a more perfect fit in your clubs, Scott can bring you to his “Flight Control Center” to test and monitor your launch conditions and discuss your best options.
17. Is your course accessible?
Indeed it is! From Holes 11 through 16, we have created entrances to tee boxes, fairways, and greens that are specifically marked as “Accessible Entrance Only.” (The signs are blue and white on a blue pole.) In addition, we have three (3) Paramobile golf carts which are designed to help wheelchair users discover a new and unimagined level of freedom and independence on the golf course.
18. Paramobile? What is a Paramobile?
You need to click here to see for yourself what a Paramobile is and how it revolutionizes Golf for anyone who is physically limited!
19. Is Motorized Golf Cart use mandatory for my round?
No, never. Candlewood is a “walking friendly course“, even on the weekends. We ask that everyone maintains a proper pace of play throughout their round.
20. What if it rains, and what if I just don’t show up.
Mark Twain had famously stated “If you don’t like the weather in New England, wait a minute!” We understand weather may come into play on certain days. We have a pretty generous Rain Check policy that is based on the amount of holes you have completed in your round. If you can not make it for your round please let us know – the sooner the better! We will charge for an entire group not showing (or calling) at 100% of the rate booked.
21. I lost something! Do you have a Lost and Found?
Candlewood Valley Country Club is not responsible for personal property left behind. Please take care of, and secure your valuables. That being said, we do have protocols for lost and found articles:
- General Items will be held until the last day of the following month. (An example of this would be an Item lost in May will be held until June 30th)
- Items not retrieved by this time will be donated to a charitable cause.
- Smaller Items and Items of Value (Phones/Range Finders/GPS/Jewelry, etc.) will be held in the Golf Shop or Office. These items will be held until the end of the Calendar Year
22. My question I wanted to ask is not on here? What gives?
We try to list the most asked questions we have gotten over the years, but are always willing to answer any question you may have! Feel free to call any of us at the course, or you can even shoot us an email. (E-Mails work best if you have a question at 2AM) Please click here for our contact information.